Our Commitment to Our Donors
We will not sell, share or trade our donors’ names or personal information with any third party other than our service providers, nor send mailings to our donors on behalf of other organizations.
Effective as of April 20, 2021
Cura can be contacted by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Collection of Personal Information from Users
When you interact with us through the Site, we may collect information from you as described below.
- Information You Provide
- Sensitive Information
Unless we specifically request or invite it, we ask that you not send or otherwise disclose to us your racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, religion or other beliefs, health, criminal background, or trade union membership. In those cases where we may request or invite you to provide the foregoing information, we will only do so with your express consent, in accordance with applicable data protection law requirements. Where you provide us with such information without request from Cura, we reserve the right (but do not have any obligation) to erase any such information at our discretion.
- Information About Minors
The Site is not intended for persons under the age of 16. We do not knowingly collect Personal Information online from persons in this age group. We reserve the right to delete any information identified as having been provided by such persons at our discretion.
- Location Information
Any comment system on the Site may utilize an opt-in Geolocation service in accordance with a prevailing community standard such as HTML 5. Such Geolocation opt-in ability is managed by the user’s browser settings. If a user chooses to opt-in to the Geolocation service, the user’s comments may be associated with the user’s location, both internally within Cura and publicly on the Sites.
- Passive Information Collection, Use, and Choices
As you navigate the Site, certain Personal Information may be passively collected, meaning it is gathered automatically without your actively providing it. This is done using the following techniques in the following ways:
IP Addresses: An IP address is a unique identifier that certain electronic devices use to identify and communicate with each other on the Internet. When you visit our Site, we may view the IP address of the device you use to connect to the Internet. We use this information to determine the general physical location of the device and understand from what geographic regions our website visitors come. We also may use this information to enhance our Site.
Through your browser: Certain information is collected by most browsers, such as your Media Access Control (MAC) address, computer type and operating system type and version screen resolution, and Internet browser type and version.
Social Media Widgets: Our Site may include social media tools, including social media widgets or plug-ins, to connect you to your social media accounts. These features may set a cookie or use other automatic collection and tracking technologies to collect information about you and your use of the social media features through and in connection with our Site. These social media tools may be hosted by a third party. Your interactions with these tools and the corresponding social media platforms are governed by the privacy policies of the companies that provide such platforms.
- How We Use the Information We Collect
- to respond to your inquiries and to send you information that you request and to process your donations;
- to send you important information regarding our relationship with you or regarding the Site, changes to our terms, conditions, and policies, and other administrative information;
- to notify you about upcoming events and donations;
- to promote our mission and initiatives, and the missions and initiatives of our affiliates;
- for our business and engagement purposes, such as data analysis, audits, recordkeeping, developing new products or services, enhancing the Site, improving our services, identifying Site usage trends, optimizing your experience on the Site, and determining the effectiveness of our fundraising campaigns;
- if you choose to complete a survey, we may use the information for purposes of evaluating your feedback from the survey; and
- if we intend to collect and use Personal Information for another purpose, we may seek your permission at the time the information is collected.
We may use any information that does not personally identify you, your computer, or your device for any purpose.
- Our Disclosure of Your Information
- to the companies or individuals that we hire to provide services to us, such as website hosting services, relationship management services, and payment processing; and
- to a third party in the event of any reorganization, merger, sale, joint venture, assignment, transfer, or other disposition of all or any portion of our business, or assets (including in connection with any bankruptcy or similar proceedings).
- Uses and Disclosures to Comply with Laws
In addition, we use and disclose Personal Information collected through the Site as we believe to be necessary or appropriate: (i) under applicable law, including laws outside your country of residence; (ii) to comply with legal process; (iii) to respond to requests from public and government authorities, including public and government authorities outside your country of residence; (iv) to enforce our terms and conditions; (v) to protect our operations or those of any of our affiliates; (vi) to protect our rights, privacy, safety, or property, and/or that of our affiliates, you, or others; and (vii) to allow us to pursue available remedies or limit the damages that we may sustain.
- Links to Third Party Sites
- Where Your Information is Processed
Cura is based in the United States. No matter where you are located, your Personal Information will be collected and processed in the United States. The laws of the United States and other countries governing data protection may not be as comprehensive or as protective as the laws in the country where you live.
Cura will take reasonable steps to protect the information collected and provided via the Site from loss, misuse, and unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration, or destruction. However, you should understand that no transmission over the Internet is ever fully secure. Also, Cura uses reasonable efforts to ensure that the Site is generally available. However, there will be occasions when access to the Site will be interrupted or unavailable. Cura will use reasonable efforts to minimize such disruption where it is within its reasonable control. You agree that Cura shall not be liable to you for any modification, suspension or discontinuance of the Site.
- Data Retention
- Lawful Basis for Processing Your Personal Information
The laws in some countries require us to tell you about the lawful grounds we rely on to collect, use, disclose, and otherwise process your Personal Information. To the extent those laws apply, our lawful bases for processing your Personal Information is in support of our legitimate interests, where those interests are not overridden by your fundamental rights and freedoms. This includes:
- Providing a safe user experience on our Site;
- Customer service;
- Sending communications to you to let you know about how we are using donations and to solicit additional donations;
- Protecting users, our workers, and our property;
- Analyzing and improving our operations (e.g., optimizing the design and operation of our Site); and
- Managing legal issues.
- Automated Processing of Personal Information
We may use automated processing of your Personal Information in order to tailor our communications with you and manage our relationships with our donors and contacts. This automated processing may impact the type of communications you receive from us.
- Your Data Rights and Choices
You can opt-out of the use of certain cookie-related processing by following the instructions in Section 1(e) above (Passive Information Collection, Use, and Choices).
If you are within the European Union, you have the following rights:
- You have the right to request from Cura access to your Personal Information, and the rectification of inaccurate Personal Information concerning you.
- You have the right to request that Cura not subject your Personal Information to automated processing.
- You have the right to obtain from Cura the erasure or the restriction of processing of your Personal Information in certain circumstances, including when the data are no longer necessary in relation to the purposes for which they were collected or otherwise processed, except when Cura is required by law to maintain or otherwise process your Personal Information, for the establishment, exercise, or defense of legal claims, or for the protection of the rights of another person.
You may exercise these rights by contacting Cura using the contact information provided above.
If you are within the European Union, you also have the right to lodge a complaint with a supervisory authority, in particular in the EU Member State of your habitual residence, place of work, or place of an alleged infringement of the applicable data protection law. However, we encourage you to contact us first at email@example.com and we will try to resolve your concerns.
If you would like to submit a data access, correction, restriction, or deletion request, you can do so by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will process such request with respect to any Personal Information that we are able to link to you individually based on the information that you can provide to us. These rights and options that you have with respect to Personal Information are subject to limitations and exceptions under applicable law.
- Contacting Us
For questions about this website, please contact us at email@example.com.
For questions about privacy or handling of your Personal Information, please contact us at via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
To contact us by mail:
The Cura Foundation
P.O. Box 5298
New York, NY 10185